Today, I came across this really neat graphic that lists 40 fitness facts. Some of the things I already knew since I’m kind of super interested in health and all that jazz… but there were quite a few things I learned.
Here are some of my favorites:
11. Your heart rests between each beat. Over a normal lifespan, your heart stands still for about 20 years.
19. If all 600 of your muscles pulled in one direction, they could lift 25 tons.
22. Your brain receives 100 million nerve messages every second from your senses.
25. In the course of a lifetime, the resting heart will have pumped enough blood to fill 13 supertankers.
31. If the 300 million tiny air sacs (alveoli) in your lungs could be laid out flat, they would cover a home swimming pool. (WOW!)
32. Each muscle fiber is thinner than a human hair and can support up to 1,000 times its weight.
33. For every pound of muscle you gain, your body burns an extra 50 calories a day.
34. Your blood rushes through your arteries with enough pressure to lift a column of blood 5 feet into the air.
Take a look at the chart yourself! It’s pretty cool!
Which of these facts didn’t you know until today?